During this past decade, the Graduate Program of Indonesian Arts Institute of Yogyakarta (ISI) has proven its quality in anticipating the advancement of science, technology, and arts in global era and has managed to respond towards the community’s high interest on participating in arts education in the graduate level.
The Arts Creation and Arts Study Program, which holds an A grade from the National Accreditation Board, is legally confirmed by the Directorate General for Higher Education of the National Education Department No. 1462/D/T/2004 on 21th of April 2004.
Until the end of the 2008/2009 academic year, Arts Creation and Arts Studies Program has graduated 335 masters who come from various arts and non-art universities, also some artists from across Indonesia.
The commitment of the Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta is to optimize performances orientating to the intellectual, sophistication, and the advancement of arts in order to fulfill the society’s needs. Thus, we invite all under graduates/ bachelors from arts or non-arts universities to join us.
STUDY PROGRAMS AND INTERESTS
The Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta consists of two studying levels, master (S-2) and doctoral (S-3) program. Arts Creation and Arts Studies Program organizes two study interests:
• Arts Creation
• Arts Studies
The Arts Creation and Arts Studies Program of ISI Yogyakarta aims to yield graduates who:
• Have good personalities based on the cultural values of Indonesia.
• Have capability to create and analyze works of arts contextually and professionally.
• Have capability to develop art works and scientific works creatively and innovatively.
• Have capability to contribute their expertise to the society
The Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta is located on Suryodiningratan Street No. 8, Yogyakarta, which is why the campus is often referred as Kampus Surya. It is located on 10,000 m2 land. Its location is very strategic because it is still in the downtown area, however it is not noisy and is relatively peaceful, shady, and comfortable for academic activities. The scenic and peaceful atmosphere of Kampus Surya is expected to help students increasing the creativity and create great masterpieces.
Each faculty has most of the studios used for practicing, whether it is the studio for art performances, fine arts, or multi media arts. However for practical reasons and creating a conducive academic environment, some of small studios are in Surya Campus, i.e. painting, sculpturing, woodcraft, ceramic craft, dance and musical studios.
Recently, a number of small studios, i.e. visual communication design, textile, craft, and photography were built in order to meet the increasing number of students. In 2009, all academic administrative matters were computerized. Also in the same year, a free Wi-Fi facility was provided, even the campus’ website was socialized. This year, all of the class rooms are air-conditioned.
Most of the book collection is at ISI Yogyakarta Central Library, nevertheless a number of books which are useful for the students are provided in the Library of the Graduate Program.
Since 2005 the Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta has published a journal called Surya Seni. This journal is issued every semester and it contains articles of the student theses, and other scientific writings on arts creation and studies. Apart from Surya Seni, ISI Yogyakarta also has a number of scientific journals which are published by each faculty and units, e.g. SENI (by the Institute), Ekspresi and Fenomen (by the Research Department), Resital , Joged, Tonil, Slonding (by the Performing Arts Department), ARS (Fine Arts Department), and Rekam (Multi Media Arts Department). All of these scientific journals are good references providing actual data on the diversity of art and culture.
• Holding a Bachelor degree in arts or art-education. Candidates from non-arts department who have experiences in creating artworks and or studying arts are also welcome to apply.
• Holding an academic competencies and have created artworks, and is considered to be able to follow the master academic process with a minimum GPA of 2.75.
Submit a written application letter by filling in the admission form provided at the Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta at http://www.pascaisi.com.
Submit the enclosures (2 copies) of the requirement in the application form as follow:
• Bachelor Degree (S1) diploma and legalized academic transcripts.
• Two copies of recommendation letters from a lecturer or professional who acknowledges the candidate’s academic abilities.
• Portfolios or video recordings in the form of CDs/DVDs of the artworks which have been shown at an exhibition /performance minimum 2 pieces in the last three years (required for applicants for the Arts Creation).
• Copied of research papers/scientific publications, 2 paperworks at the minimum for the last three years (required for applicants for the Arts Studies).
• A short description about the candidate interest to take the graduate program. The description should contain reasons and expectations also the project which the candidates would do after they graduate.
• Curriculum vitae
• Permit from the institution of the candidate
• Doctor’s certificate
• Receipts from the admission fee of 250,000.00 IDR paid via Rektor ISI Yogyakarta Acc. No.: 0030440945 BNI 46 Branch Yogyakarta, Jln. Parangtritis No. 120, Yogyakarta.
For foreign candidates, in addition to the requirements mentioned in no. 1 and 2, must:
• Submit a special permit from the Directorate General of the National Education Board of Indonesia.
• Submit a legal letter of bachelor degree leveling in Indonesia from the National Education Board of Indonesia.
• Fluent in Indonesian
• Paying the admission fee (via BNI 46) in order to get the admission form from the Education and Student Department Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta (plus shipping fee for those who wish the form to be posted).
• Submit a written Application Letter by filling in the form and sending it to the Director of the Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta. Enclose all the needed requirements, both academic and administrative requirements, and send them with the application letter.
• Register as a New Student by showing the Letter of Approval from the Director of the Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta.
THE CURRICULUM OF THE ARTS CREATION (42 Credits)
Art Theory (2) | Art Creation Methodology (2) | Art Management I (2) | Elective Practical Courses I (2) | Elective Theoretical Courses*adj. (2) | Art Creation I*adj. (4)
Aesthetics (2) | Art Criticism (2) | Arts Creation Seminar I*adj. (2) | Elective Practical Courses II *adj. (2) | Arts Creation II (4)
Arts Management II (2) | Arts Creation Seminar II (2) | Arts Creation III *adj. (4)
Final Project (8 Credits)*adj.
THE CURRICULUM OF THE ARTS STUDIES (42 Credits)
Art Theory (2) | The History of Arts (2)
The Anthropology of Arts (2) | Elective Practical Courses I (2)
Elective Theoretical Courses*adj. (2) | Arts Studies I*adj. (4)
Aesthetics (2) | Art Criticism (2) | Theory of Culture*adj. (2)
Elective Arts Analysis Methodology II *adj. (2) | Arts Studies II (4)
Arts Management II (2) | Arts Analysis Seminar II (2)
Arts Studies III*adj. (4)
Final Project (8 Credits)*
ELECTIVE THEORETICAL COURSES
Only in Odd Semesters:
The History of Arts | The Anthropology of Arts
The Sociology of Arts | Theory of Communications | Semiotics
ELECTIVE PRACTICAL COURSES
Movement Explorations | Sound Explorations | Expressive Pictures | The Art of the Renaissance | Digital Photography | Multi-media Presentation Methodology
Art Performance | Exploration of Form/Shape
Variations of Jewelry | Computer Graphic | B/W Photography | Video Creating-Editing
*adj. the courses are adjusted with the main choice of study concentration: Dance / Music / Theater Art Performance / Painting / Sculpture / Graphic Design / Woodcraft / Metal works /Ceramic Craft / Textile / Leather Works / Interior Design / Visual Communication Design / Fine Art