The dance department is a higher education institution that functions as a centre of the study, creating process, and management of dance in line with the socio-cultural dynamics.
This department is a higher education institution that aims at producing academics that are professional, creative, innovative, and productive in the fields of reviewing, choreographing, and managing dance characterized with Indonesian culture.
One of specific characteristics of Dance Department of Indonesia Institute of the Arts Yogyakarta lies in its teaching and learning process during which all individual students, who come from different local areas, are able to develop their own ethnicity with their own creativity and become specific for each individual student. On the other side, defining and understanding the local arts, in terms of the traditional dances or even the traditional music (karawitan) of Yogyakarta style should be acquired by the students. Acculturation of various ethnics will eventually become the outstanding excellence of the students’ work of art. Dance Study Program develops two competencies, namely: analysis and creation. Specifically, the students in the creation competence present their own work of art, whereas the students in the analysis competence do thesis research.
Yogyakarta Traditional Dance | Surakarta Traditional Dance | Sundanese Traditional Dance | Balinese Traditional Dance | East Javanese Traditional Dance | Banyumas Traditional Dance | Sumateran Traditional Dance | History of Traditional Dance | Indonesian Art Performance | Traditional Dance Sociology | Traditional Dance Anthropology | Literature | Esthetics | Seminar | Choreography | Music Composition of Traditional Dance | Ethno-choreology | Traditional Music | Make-up and Costume | Analysis (laban, choreography, structural) | Performance Management | Traditional dance technique | Physical Management | Lighting Management
Acquiring the ability to analyze, interpret, and evaluate various phenomena in traditional dances which is realized in a form of scientific writing based on the effective system and regulations, also well acquiring the skills in traditional dances.
Acquiring the ability in creating and communicating the work of traditional dance professionally, ethically, esthetically, based on the results of analysis, interpretation, and evaluation of various phenomena and is supported by sufficient dance skills.
• Practice rooms: Studio (3 studios), Proscenium Stage, Pendhapa.
• Javanese traditional instruments.
• Teaching Staff (master and doctorate degree, professors and artists).
• Performance stage: pendapa and proscenium stage, equipped with sound and lighting systems.
• Editing equipment, Digital Audio Visual.
• Make-up and costume equipment.
• Students with achievements will be given opportunity to perform in the domestic country and abroad.
• Workshop on dance attended by national and international lecturers.
• Joining national and international dance festivals.
• Organizing performances with national and international Dance Companies.